Inver is a pretty village on the southeast shore of the Inver Bay, at the point where the bay opens out into one of the Peninsula’s three firths – the Dornoch Firth. There is a primary school, a village hall and a great local pub serving local catch and farm produce.

The people of Inver and the Tarbat and Fearn areas were all evacuated from their homes at short notice from December 1943 to May 1944 to enable British armed forces to prepare for the Allied invasion of Normandy, the evacuation was considered vital to rehearse the D Day landings on the 6 June 1944.

Morrich More, the spit of the land to the North-West of Inver, is a military aerial range, with the village being included in the range airspace.